ALT IS THRILLED TO HOLD AUDITIONS THIS SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16, FOR OUR SPRING PLAY, “CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF”! WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!
CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
By Tennessee Williams
Directed by Denise Schulz
An intense classic. Big Daddy’s 65th birthday party is marred by greed, sins of the past, and desperate hopes for the future. His daughter-in-law Maggie wants to give him the news that she’s pregnant, but her husband Brick won’t cooperate, instead preferring to stay in a mild alcoholic haze. Meanwhile, their relatives connive to destroy their place at the top of the family hierarchy. But a determined Maggie makes it her mission to set things right. Tennessee Williams at his best.
**Auditions will be held at Albuquerque Little Theatre, on the ALT main stage. 224 San Pasquale Ave SW Albuquerque NM 87104
**Saturday, February 16:
–Children (ages 6 – 12): 11am – Noon
Ages 18 – 45 auditioning for Maggie, Brick, Mae, Gooper: 1p – 3p
Ages 45 – 70 auditioning for Big Daddy, Big Mama, Reverend, Doctor: 3:30p – 5:30p
**Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
**Callbacks will be held on Sunday, February 17 from 2 pm – 5 pm on the ALT main stage.
**To sign up for an audition time, email Ryan Jason Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at (575) 791-1233.
*Performances will be April 12 – 28, Fridays and Saturdays at 8 pm, and Sundays at 2. There will also be one Thursday performance, at 8 pm, on April 25. *Actors must be able to attend all performances.
– Margaret [Maggie] — wife of Brick. Age 23-30; Sensual and disgruntled passion; Sharp tongue; Ironic; A calculating survivor; Desperate in her sense of loneliness and fear of poverty.
– Brick — youngest son of Big Daddy and Big Mama, husband of Maggie. Age 25-30; Ex-professional/collegiate football player; Confused sexual orientation; On the path of alcoholism; Running away from wife and family without any physical movement; Searching for the opposite of mendacity (untruthfulness).
– Gooper — oldest son of Big Daddy and Big Mama, husband of Mae, father of five children. Age 35 to 40 [eight years older than Brick]; The unloved and unnoticed son; Seeking to be the loved and noticed son; Ruthless without dexterity; Successful lawyer with tediousness.
– Mae — wife of Gooper, mother of five children with one on the way. Age 30 to 38; Schemer; Cutesy-aging beauty queen; Listener through keyholes; Inept manipulator; Excitable.
– Big Daddy — head of the household, husband of 40 years to Big Mama. Age 65; Dying from cancer; Fearful of death; Hard and insensitive; Crass, brash, cruel, and vulgar-rich; Domineering; Fills a room with his presence; A wounded elephant.
– Big Mama — wife of Big Daddy. Age 60-65; Suffering in silence for 40 years; Unreciprocated love from husband and children; Soft and round; Appears less intelligent than she really is; Drained strength; False humor.
– Other adult characters include the family doctor and the Reverend.
– We will also be casting five child actors – 3 girls and 2 boys – ages 6 – 12.